Skip to main content

Toyota Yaris

Photograph by Sarah Miller.

In 2007, I bought a brand-new red two-door Toyota Yaris off a lot at a Toyota dealership in the Inland Empire. I think it was about $13,000. I tried both the automatic and the manual transmission. The automatic had no power and because I was often getting on to the 110 freeway, whose on-ramps were about as long as the average hallway in a one-bedroom apartment, I thought the manual would be “safer.” I use quotes here because this car was tiny. If anything ever hit me while I was in that thing I would not be alive to write this. Luckily, nothing ever did.

I remember that as I headed into the dealership to sign the papers, I asked the salesman if I should maybe just try the Toyota Scion, what the heck, and he got very angry and started yelling at me that those cars were fucking garbage and that I should just buy the Yaris I said I had come to buy so that he could finish selling me this car and go sell another one, as God intended, more or less. “Why would you come here to buy a Yaris and walk out of here with another car, a stupid car, a car for A CHILD?” he shouted. I found all this charming, for some reason. I bought the car. I tried haggling. He made fun of me. “You are terrible at this, why try, go home and work and make five hundred dollars, don’t try to make it from me, you will never win. Also this car will make you money because you will never think about it.” And so I got a Yaris and the man was right. That car did what it was supposed to do, which was that it got me around and I never thought about it.

When I bought it, in my mid-thirties, it was one of the only good decisions I’d ever made. My boyfriends were mostly no good or not right. I was so bad with money it was a joke. When I hadn’t made a mess of my career, the economy stepped in to help. I did have good friends, and then later on I had a good dog, and this car made those things better. That might sound weird. But it never failed at getting me from one friend to another, or at getting me and that good dog around to various adventures. In that way, the rare sound judgment I had used in purchasing this car was compounded by the ways it was able to make the better parts of my life easier. The car took care of me and after a while I realized that I wasn’t as bad at taking care of myself as I thought I was.

I liked how it was so small from far away that you felt like you could just pick it up and kick it and it would definitely score you a field goal. There was never anything wrong with it. The air conditioner kicked ass. I would fill the thing up with gas and then just forget about it for a long time, especially since living in Los Angeles I didn’t commute and all I did was drive back and forth from Highland Park to Silver Lake. One day it started to act weird and I took it into the shop. I found out that this car had something wrong with its transmission, and so five or six years into owning it I got a brand-new transmission and then it was like a brand-new car all over again.

A friend of mine and I did have to push this car down a hill while we were trying to jump-start it, and it did indeed also have to have its entire passenger side replaced, which cost about $4,000 at a time when I think the car may have been worth $4,500. But the insurance company let me do it and I had the car for seven more years, into my early fifties. I would’ve had it longer except I took it to the Toyota dealer in Hollywood to fix my air conditioner and he said that was all that was wrong with it, but actually there was something else huge wrong with it, which honestly I couldn’t even tell you. If I had understood anything, then it wouldn’t have happened, although I’m not going to blame myself for not knowing anything about my own car, because I am not a mechanic, I’m just someone who wanted to drive a car around and not think about it. At any rate, thanks to Hollywood Toyota, my car died in the summer of 2021 in Roseville, California, in the middle of an industrial park. It was towed to the Toyota dealership in Roseville and they said that it was completely fucked. I don’t know why and I don’t want to know. I only know that that car was perfect and it was taken from me too early.

I have a Chevy Bolt now. It is a stupid car. It’s an automatic. Automatics are so uncool. I don’t give this car a lot of thought, and that’s good. When you look at it, you think, “Oh, you’re small,” but not “You’re so tiny it’s amazing that you can move but you do anyway.” It doesn’t care about me at all. When I got into my Yaris, I felt that it was greeting me. The Bolt is silent. That’s fine, and it’s good at doing its job, but we are not friends. 

 

Sarah Miller is a writer who lives in California. She writes a Substack.



from The Paris Review https://ift.tt/nXBCtSk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beautiful Faraway: Why I’m Grateful for My Soviet Childhood

At 10 I wanted to be an artist, practiced a hysterical form of Christianity, talked to trees, and turned a sunset at a local park into a visionary experience. My great-aunt lured me to Evangelical Christianity with the strangeness of Gospel stories where Jesus always ended up angry at his disciples’ failure to understand. I sympathized with being misunderstood, and latched on. Besides, Christianity was a forbidden fruit in Soviet Russia so I had to worship in secret. This was unnerving but also alluring. I was a breathless romantic who wanted to be surprised by a knight on a white horse. From the early ‘80s to the early ‘90s, my childhood was formed by the images, atmosphere, and allusiveness of Soviet songs. I grew up in an artistic family where emotions flew high. I was the kind of imaginative child who could spin an entire tale from an oblong stain on the kitchen table. But there’s more to it than that. My family was not always idealistic or romantic, especially not in New York in...

Philistines

Welcome to Disney World! Photograph courtesy of Wikimedia Commons. 1. Once I had to go to Disney World with my small children. On the way to the airport our taxi driver exhibited signs of Obsessive Disney Disorder—when he found out where we were going he started obsessively describing and listing and explaining everything that had to do with Disney World, even though he was a grown man. We stayed at the Portofino Bay Hotel, a Disney-owned property that is a replica of the storied village on the Italian Riviera. There were imitation Renaissance churches and Mediterranean piazzas clustered around a fake harbor with old Fiats parked on the cobblestones and fishing boats moored in the fake bay. Outside cafés ranged on the harbor, serving espresso under green-and-white striped awnings. Italian cypresses were planted along the pools. If you didn’t know it was a Disney replica of a real place, it would have to be characterized as being extremely tasteful and lovely. So you did tend to ge...

Portrait of the Philosopher as a Young Dog: Kafka’s Philosophical Investigations

Nicolas Gosse and Auguste Vinchon, Cynic philosopher with his dog (1827). Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons . Franz Kafka’s story “Investigations of a Dog” might be retitled “Portrait of the Philosopher as a Young Dog.” In any event, Kafka did not assign a title to the story, which he left unpublished and unfinished. It was Max Brod who named it Forschungen eines Hundes , which could also be translated as “Researches of a dog,” to give it a more academic ring. But the term investigations has its fortuitous resonances in the history of modern philosophy. The dog’s investigations belong to a great line of theoretical endeavors, like Wittgenstein’s Philosophical Investigations , with its retinue of animals, dogs included; or Husserl’s Logical Investigations , which launched his new science of consciousness, phenomenology; or Schelling’s Philosophical Investigations into the Essence of Human Freedom , even more to the point since this is how the dog’s investigations end, with the ...